Monday, March 30, 2009

Confessions of a Fish Guzzler......


I am an avid fish-eater, I confess. I like them steamed, baked, grilled, barbecued or even deep fried. I will try to avoid those with lots of bones but it is difficult to resist the fish especially if it is fresh and yummy. I am fortunate to be able to find my dream food in many places.

At home, the fish that I eat is usually steamed with ginger and garlic, salt and pepper and sesame oil. I love the steamed Cod and Threadfin.

At this hawker centre near my house, I always order the sliced fish soup with noodles. I enjoy it best with a little soya sauce on the fresh slices of fish. Here, I can also buy slices (steaks) of Batang fish from the Vegetable Rice stall. They are usually fried with a little dark soya sauce. I like the salty taste and it is easy to devour the fish because of the way it is cut. Another delicious fish is the barbecued Sting Ray. I like it because it is very spicy

If I crave for the Sardine and the Tuna, I can buy them in cans from the supermarkets. The Sardines are usually cooked in tomato paste but the Tuna come in a variety of flavours. I like the tom yum flavour best.

Grilled fish (usually Dory or Salmon fillet) is available at western food stalls and cafes. Grilled fish is tender and a little oily.

I do not eat the deep-fried fish very often but I like the one at a ‘zhi-char’ restaurant that sells Thai food. The fish is very crispy but one has to be careful because it has many bones.

So you see, I like many fish dishes and fish is good for health because they contain proteins.

Well, how about a fish treat?

1 comment:

  1. Ethan, check your family background and see if in some way you are related to a seal....I've never seen anyone enjoy fish this much. What a healthy diet, especially compared to Westerners who eat way too much red meat.

    ReplyDelete